Thursday, March 11, 2010

A shaving lesson

My Spanish 1 kids are learning reflexive verbs right now. In case you may not be a grammar nerd like me, a reflexive verb is verb that one does to him/herself. :) Anyway, I asked them to translate the following sentence: He needs to shave (himself).

My students were eager to give me the answer "Necesita afeitarse" or "Se necesita afeitar." Albeit being correct, the sentence could technically be even better if they stuck the subject pronoun "he" beforehand. So consequently, I asked them what they could do to make the sentence even better, to which someone said "Add the word he!" I applauded them, but was interrupted by one of my students asking, "Mrs. Karly? Why do we need to put the subject pronoun 'he' beforehand? We already know that it's a he; a girl doesn't shave so it would never be 'she'!"

I held back my giggles and calmly told my little freshman boy that many women do shave their legs and their armpits. In the midst of corrupting their innocent minds, I received a lot of groans and "You shave your armpits and legs, Mrs. Karly?" Apparently I gave them a little too much information. One of my students then piped in saying, "Hey guys, at least she's being honest with us!" This started a ripple effect of "Yeah, Mrs. Karly is always honest with us, isn't she?" "Thanks for being honest with us, Mrs. Karly."

They never cease to make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment