Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Laughable moments...

#1: After school today, one of my students and her friend (who is not my student) were on the front steps of school. As I left school to go home, this was our conversation:
Student: Hola Mrs. Karly
Me: ¡Hola! [while smiling at both girls]
Friend: Sawatdee ka [wai's me]
Me: Sawatdee ka [smile, stifle a small laugh since she thinks I'm Thai and keep walking...]
Student: She's Spanish, you know.
Friend: She's Spanish?
Student: Well, no... she's from America but she's the Spanish teacher, but she looks Thai.
Friend: Oh, okay.

#2: During one of my Spanish 1 classes [we're doing a food unit right now]
Me: [in Spanish] What ingredients do you need to make a fruit salad?
Student A: [in Spanish] To make a fruit salad, I need an apple, some grapes, a grapefruit and some cheese.
Class: [groans] Gross! Who puts cheese in their fruit salad?
Me: [in Spanish] Cheese? You need cheese to make a fruit salad?
Student A: Yep, I'm a vegetarian.

#3: Forgetting that I'm Thailand, I wave excitedly at our friend, the fruit dude, after not having seen him for a while. He grins his toothy grin, and slightly shakes his head at me for forgetting to wai instead of wave excitedly. I could just hear him saying behind that oh-so-gentle smile of his, "Silly American!"

1 comment:

  1. Very funny! Especially the fruit salad....

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete