Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The big two-eight

Guess who turned the big 2-8 today? This face...


I just wanted to take a moment to honor Mike on his 28th birthday.

I often have other teachers or parents come to me and say something along the lines of: "That Mr. Mike is just a great teacher! He gets those kids involved and seems to just love what he does." It's true. My husband is man of many talents and does indeed love his job.

Mike wakes up every morning around 5:00 (or 6:00 on the weekends)and spends about an hour reading his Bible and another devotional book or two to jump-start his mornings. He is intentional about trying to start his day off on the right foot.

Kids adore Mike. When we see kids after school or at school functions, they gravitate towards him and constantly want to touch him, say hello to him, jump on him, hug him, or just smile at him. At the end of the day, kids tell him that they will miss him, and he got even got a rose from one of his students on Valentine's Day.

My high schoolers love Mike even though they don't really know him very well; they just know that he's my husband and that he loves sports/is good at sports (and that's enough to make them adore him). Sometimes they will just start talking to me about Mike and say things like, "He is so good at basketball!" "I've never seen someone so fast." "He's good at everything he does!" "Is there even a sport he isn't good at?"

Yes sirree, I have a talented hubby. I will admit, sometimes it can be downright annoying that he is good at almost everything that he does, but I praise God for how he is gifted and particularly for how his athletic talents help students to love, adore, and respect him... thus he develops these relationships with students where he can speak truth in their life and share the gospel with them.

Mike not only speaks truth into the lives of his students (and mine), but he speaks truth to me as well. He is good at pointing me back to the gospel when I need it most, praying with me through situations, and unconditionally loving and serving me. Needless to say, his students (and mine) aren't the only ones that adore, love and respect him.

Happy birthday, Mikey. You are a blessing to all of those around you and I thank God for you every day. May Jesus continue to work in your life and overwhelm you with his goodness and grace.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Mike! He is a blessing - and he is blessed to have such a wonderful wife!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Mike! Enjoy your big day!

    ReplyDelete