Thursday, May 7, 2009

Training

I've been running quite a bit lately. I actually really enjoy running while rockin' out to some tunes. I also kind of enjoy feeling a little achy the next day, knowing that I pushed myself. I have never run in some type of organized race though. I was slightly tempted to do so when my friend, TW, did a 5K, but why pay to run outside?! TW said that she needed something to work towards, in order to push her to run and to get to the gym every week, which I completely understand. Having goals is good and definitely push you to go above and beyond. So perhaps I should make a goal to run in an organized race then... well, my friends, the opportunity has presented itself!

We had to write a brief bio to send to ICS to tell the other teachers about ourselves. We wrote about TLO and what we currently teach, what we wil be teaching at ICS, and some of our interests/hobbies. One of which, for me, was running. So today, I received an e-mail from one of the 1st grade teachers at ICS who said that there is a group of them that like to go running together, and that this September there is a 1/2 marathon along the River Kwai in Kanchanaburi, Thailand that they are thinking about running in. There is also a 10K in Bangkok in October that they are considering doing as well. Wow. 13.1 miles or 6.2 miles in the heat and humidity of Thailand... though in September and October it shouldn't be as hot. I definitely will have to get adjusted to running in that weather first though. Aside from that, my longest run has only been 6 miles, so I'd have to really train and work up to running 13.1 miles.

Part of me thinks that I really should just go all out and train for the 1/2 marathon. The only reason for this is because I just happened to be watching the television show, "The Biggest Loser" the other day, and the 4 contestants actually ran a marathon! I couldn't beleive it... how amazing for them! So what's running through my mind is this: If biggest loser contestants could train to run a marathon, why couldn't I train to run a 1/2 marathon? Here's to setting goals, testing limits, and exceeding boundaries! Now it's off to the gym for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment