Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Top 10 reasons to go back to high school (or not...)

Some reasons why I am almost counting down the days until I teach high school students again:

1. When they are asked to use scissors, they don't use them to cut their own hair.
2. There's a completely different type of student-teacher relationship that develops as they mature and are able to form and discuss their opinions on a variety of topics, ask thoughtful questions, and seek guidance.
3. I won't have a hoarse voice at the end of every day from singing with/to my students.
4. They study more difficult grammar and study it more in depth... and I'm a grammar lover.
5. When they want my attention, they don't just keep saying, "Teacher, teacher" over and over again since they know I actually have a name.
6. They don't raise their hand in the middle of when I'm talking just to tell me that they are going to sleep at their grandma's house that night.
7. Usually, they don't fall out of their desks.
8. If I remember correctly, when they are asked to use glue bottles and the glue isn't coming out, they don't unscrew the cap and dump glue everywhere.
9. They usually can hold their bladder to go to the bathroom at an appropriate time... or at least to get to the bathroom so they don't pee/poop their pants.
10. They typically do not sneeze or cough right in my face, wipe their boogers on me, or touch me right after they have picked their nose.

However, there are certainly plenty of things that I will miss about teaching the little ones too:

1. They are typically quite sweet and innocent
2. All the "I love you's"
3. All the cute pictures they color for me.
4. How they attack me in the hallway just to give me hugs or high fives
5. How quickly their little brains pick up on the foreign language (it just amazes me!)
6. Hearing them sing all the songs that I have taught them and know what the songs means! (Which means actually putting my masters thesis/developed curriculum to use!)
5. Maybe this is mean... but how gullible they can be and how you can totally fool them.
6. The funny and yet so honest things they say; little kids do not mince their words! The other day, for example, I wore my glasses to school (something I rarely, if ever, do) and one of my kindergarten students said when she saw me wearing glasses, "Mrs. Aust! I didn't know you were blind!"
7. When they get so excited about doing new activities in class and their overall love for learning.
8. How ridiculously goofy I can be with them and they totally don't get embarrassed... they love it!!
9. They haven't necessarily reached the "I'm too cool for you, everything you do, and school in general" stage yet.
10. There are some students that are still actually shorter than me (usually third grade and below... sometimes fourth grade if I am lucky).

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! You (almost) made me want to be teaching again!

    ReplyDelete