Friday, April 24, 2009

Gross churning feeling


As I mentioned in my last post, I found other people's blogs about living in Vietnam. There this one blog that I particularly enjoy, which narrates the adventures of an ESL teacher and his family through the ups and downs of living in Vietnam. One of his posts talks about getting sick and how whether you are careful or not, if you stay long-term in a certain country, you are bound to get the gross feeling stomach and the runs. Now onto the real point of this post though... He then talked about grapefruit seed extract and how when he starts getting that gross churning feeling in his stomach, he puts a few drops of the extract into his water and it usually helps him out.

Interesting.

So I thought that I would investigate further to see whether it was something that we should invest in or not. I found out that grapefruit seed extract apparently has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties that assist our bodies in fighting micro-organisms. It does this by raising the bodies pH, as disease causing microforms are not able to survive in an alkaline oxygenated environment. In lab tests, it has killed E.coli, salmonella, and staphylococcus aureus.

However, I did read a poor review of the extract, saying that it wasn't organic, and that there are many synthetic chemicals in it. I've also read that it is terribly bitter.

With all that being said, we bought some of the capsules so that we wouldn't have the nasty bitter taste in our mouths when we do get the gross churning feeling in the pit of our stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment