Thursday, February 4, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes... or teachers...

Things I have actually said recently in Spanish classes in response to things my students have said/done:

Why do I hear you talking about camels?

No, I am not my brother’s girlfriend. That’s gross.

Please stop dancing to the music and do your work.

Yes, gatos can be gatas if the gat is a girl… I mean, gat… I mean, cat.

I owned you? You seriously want to know how to say I owned you?

Pelar—it means to peel the skin off something, like an orange… No, it isn’t a cruel way to torture someone or something. That’s gross.

I’m not exactly a dictionary, am I?

No, I do not have grandkids. How could I have grandkids if I don’t have children?

You sound like a gringo. Why do you sound like a gringo?

I’m deaf… no, you don’t say you’re welcome to me when I tell you I can’t hear. Try again.

No worries, this is a G-rated powerpoint.

I don’t care if you don’t have sister or not, but you can still answer the question. I’m giving you permission to make up an answer... Yes, I know that you shouldn’t lie. No, I don't think you'll go to hell for that...I just want you to use your Spanish.

C’mon! Clean up after yourself. Do I look like your mother? Oh… I do? Well, I’m not, so clean up your stuff!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Thanks for the laughs.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your classroom narations make me miss teaching! The kid relationships can be so fun sometimes. It's fun to know you guys are doing well. There's a gaping hole near the center front of the auditorium at SGF :).

    ReplyDelete