Wednesday, February 3, 2010

More baby talk

A glimpse into the minds of my 9th grade boys through our real conversations...

Background info: Today we started a unit on family, so I was introducing vocabulary to them via a powerpoint presentation and a youtube video. Needless to say, they got to talking about/asking when I would have an "hijo" or an "hija" of my own.

Student A: So you don't have any kids?
Me: Nope
Student A: Will you please adopt me?
Me: Nope... do I look old enough to be your mother, you're 13!
Student A: But ¡Ud. es muy simpática!
Me: So...you're telling me I look vieja and simpática.
[Class laughs]
Student B: Are you going to have hijos while you're here in Tailandia?
Me: I don't know
Student C: You need to have babies here Mrs. Karly! You need to be a madre and have hijos.
[Class chimes in with 'yeahs!']
Student A: But I want to be your AP student. You aren't going to leave when you have kids, are you?
Me: I signed a two year contract. I'm here for at least two years and then I don't know what will happen after that. It depends on what my husband wants to do too.
Student C: Tu esposo is going to want to stay.
Student D: Well even if su esposo stays, that doesn't mean that she will keep teaching, especially if they have babies.
Me: You're right. So basically we can come to the conclusion that it's all in God's hands. It's easy to want to plan your life out, but it doesn't always work the way that you want it to or the way you plan. Have you ever had that happen to you? I guess we just have to be flexible then and allow our lives to be molded by our Creator.
[Class mulls it over]
Student A: So when are you going to have babies again?
Me: Aaaaand we're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment