Sunday, February 7, 2010

Big Booty, Big Booty, Big Booty...

Did you ever play the "Big Booty" rhythm game? I learned how to play it the summer I worked for Youthworks and we played it ALL THE TIME. It came to mind today when I was trying to find a pair of pants at one of the malls here in Thailand. I never thought I really had a big booty, but by Thai standards, I guess I'm frickin' huge, which is just funny to me.

At my first doctor's appointment here (that the school required to ensure that we were 'healthy'), I was told to lose about 2 kilos because I was was considered overweight by their standards. I have been working out consistently to tone up a few pudgier areas and have lost a little weight in doing so... yet I've been encountering "Big Booty" shopping problems everywhere I go.

Shopping continues to be easy for Mike. He's not even a different clothing size, and definitely doesn't need to try things on if he doesn't want to. Me on the other hand? I'm normally a size small or size 2 back in the states, but some of my "Big Booty" shopping experiences have proved otherwise.

1. Flea market style shopping, I buy a pair of shorts that measure the right size in the waist, but who knows about any other area. However, since it is flea market style shopping, I was unable to try them on. I brought them home and tried them on. I ended up calling them my shimmy-shimmy shorts because I got to about my thighs and then I had to shimmy-shimmy to get them on. I DID manage to get them on, but could barely walk for fear of them ripping in the booty area. They were a size medium.

2. Dress shopping: wandering from vendor to vendor, I eyed a dress that I loved. The lady measured me (bust, not booty) to determine which size I needed and I am a size XL. Apparently Thai women are lacking in both the booty and bust area... but I guess I'm sportin' it everywhere?!

3. Dress shopping continued: wandering to the next vendor, I spotted another dress I liked. I glanced at the store owner wondering if she would measure me like the last store, but she only said to me (after already speaking to me in Thai first), "No big size, no big size. Sorry, you too big."

4. Pants shopping: Find a pair of pants that I want. I tried on the size 2, but apparently I'm a size 4 in Thailand, which is "a large" according to them.

5. Pants shopping again: I ended up buying the same brand (but not style) of pants from last pants shopping trip, but I have moved up in sizes this time and am now a size 6. So I guess I resort again to being an XL here in Thailand.

Only in Thailand...

6 comments:

  1. hahaha. my favorite is "no big size, no big size. sorry, you too big" :) without even measuring! what would you do in thailand if you were actually too big?! a person would have to go naked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I would be an elephant!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... no, they don't go naked. They do have export stores here with brands like American Eagle etc. for a reduced price from the states, but often more expensive than other brands of clothing here. Also, it is very easy to get things tailor-made for a reasonable price. But overall, you rarely see "big" people here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing that YOU are big there!

    BTW, strange as it may sound, my girls play the Big Booty game all the time. I have no idea where they learned it, but they love to sing it out... at the ripe old age of 2 and 4!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had the same problem in argentina!! i was an xl-- but you're a LOT tinier than me!!!!! americans!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you make me laugh!!! I am starting to know what it is like to be big...but mainly in the belly area!

    Did you hear about the time Jason said my booty was getting big?! This baby has been changing things for me!

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete