Wednesday, February 3, 2010

B-b-b-bird, bird, bird…b-bird’s the word

Due to tropical weather in Thailand, the school’s hallways are not entirely closed off to the outdoors. Needless to say, it is quite the change from Minnesota where recess is cancelled half of the winter due to below zero wind chills. The open hallways are especially nice on days where there is a cool breeze, but can be dangerous on rainy days because of slippery tiles. The thing that always catches me off guard though is the birds. Birds will fly through the hallways and sometimes you literally have to “dodge” them as they come flying at you. (This doesn’t happen as much during the busy school day, as it does during a) pre-school hours while the kids are still downstairs in the commons and they’re still in their comatose sleepy stage, and b) the quiet Saturday mornings that I spend at school lesson planning).

After school today I had my door ajar whilst I corrected papers, and a bird flew into my room! I entered into a state of panic, wondering if the bird would find its way out, if I would have to leave my doors open for the night, if it would ram itself into the windows, and if I would find a dead bird on my floor the next morning. However, the silly thing happily sat on a desk and jumped around a bit, flew a few circles around my room, propped itself on my bookshelves, and then left. Only in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment