Monday, February 8, 2010

I've got the giggles...

Some things that my Spanish 1 kids did to make me laugh today:

1. When taking a quiz, they were asked to write "your cats" in Spanish. (They are learning possessive adjectives). I received a whole slew of ideas on what the word "cat" was, despite it being one of their vocabulary words for the chapter. Here are some of the best re-creations of the word "gatos":
a. catos
b. getos
c. gacos
d. perros (which means dogs)
e. padre (which means dad/father)
f. cateos

2. When taking the quiz, one student walks up to me and says, "Mrs. Karly, how do you write the word 'escuchar' in Spanish?" I usually don't just tell my students how to spell things because I want them to sound it out to help them with letter identification/phonetics. So with my typical response I asked, "How do you think you spell it?" He starts out by saying: "E-S-C-U... uhm... J-A-R." I tell him that the J makes more of an English sounding H sound, and then say, "CH-CH-CH, which letters makes that sound?" He responds with the correct letters, I tell him he's right and then he looks at the spelling of the word, and then skeptically asks, "Are you sure?" Pretty sure that's why I'm the teacher and he's the student. Needless to say, he had quite the sheepish grin for me afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. my kids invited me to english class last week! they were very concerned for me that i don't know any, and they thought that MAYBE srta. fried could teach me!! ;) you've gotta love kids!!!!

    i also had another little girl tell me that a little boy blessyoued in her face! ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kelly, that is so funny! i wish my students thought i couldn't speak any english... teaching high school kids 3X a week for 70 minutes is quite different than the immersion experience though! :)

    blessyoued... very creative! kids are so funny!

    P.S. flat stanley package is coming your way soon. i'm going to try sending it this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete