Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why I Hate to Wait #1

I've been going through a book called, "A Shelter in the Storm" by Paul David Tripp. It has 52 meditations on Psalm 27 and is a book I highly recommend. The book has been such an encouragement to me, as God has been teaching me a lot lately. He is definitely doing some major heart re-construction on me as He has been providing ample opportunity for me to grow in patience and trust, as I wait on Him. He has been stripping me of my self-sufficiency and teaching me to walk in faith. It's been very humbling.

I loved this meditation that Tripp wrote on Psalm 27:14. Man, was it a good reminder!


"Why I Hate to Wait"


"Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" -Psalm 27:14


"I hate to wait;
I have places to go
I have people to see
I have things to do.
I love me
and I have a wonderful plan 
for my life.
I hate to wait
I don't like obstacles 
in my way
or people that disagree 
or processes that take too long
I hate to wait.
I don't like lines
or traffic
or delayed appointments
or tardy people.
I hate to wait.
I wake up every day with an agenda.
I know
what I want to accomplish.
I know 
how I want it done.
I know 
where I want it done.
I know
when I want it done
I know
who I want to do it
I know
why it has to be done this way.
I hate to wait
because
I am the one having to wait.
I don't mind 
thatyou have to wait
but I don't want to have to 
wait with you.
I hate to wait
because 
I tend to put myself
in the on place
I am never supposed to be
and
I tend to want to be
the one thing 
I should never crave to be.
I hate to wait because
I want to be 
in the center of my universe
and I want to be 
my own sovereign.
When I forget Your plan
When I lose sight of Your will
When I begin to think
that my life belongs to me
When I fall prey to the delusion
that I am wiser than You
and
my way is better than Yours
Then I hate to wait
and 
I curse the obstacles in my way.
But You are sovereign
and You are
God
and loving
and gracious
and kind
and mighty,
filled with compassion
overflowing with mercy.
You bought me
with the price of Your Son.
You forgave me
and the cost was His death.
For all my attempts
at independent wisdom
and self sovereignty
the truth is
that my life does not belong to me.
So 
once more I fall to my knees.
Once more I open my hands
and
give my life back to You
and say, 
'You do in , with, and through me
what You think is best
and I will follow 
and when
Your wisdom and grace
require it,
I will be willing 
to wait.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment