Thursday, November 3, 2011

10 things not to say...

I enjoyed this article... maybe because I'm in that stage of life right now, usually on the receiving end of #1 and #5. A few things I would have to add to the list of what not to say include: "You're biological clock is ticking." "You've been married for 6 years and you still don't have kids?" "Don't you want kids?"

People's questions are well-intentioned, but it can sometimes be difficult to be on the receiving end of it, especially when put on the spot. I also find myself feeling very awkward when people I don't know very well steer the conversation in this direction... it's a personal thing.

I'm sure that parents could come up with 10+ things that their childfree friends shouldn't say too... like when I am the one that jokes saying, "Thanks for the birth control!" when their child wipes his/her poop all over their bedroom walls (or something of that nature).

I guess all this to say that we really ought to be sensitive to other people's circumstances and feelings. May our words be edifying and well-seasoned with salt.

5 comments:

  1. hi
    i am HASTI from iran
    i have a blog and wrote about my love and my husband and my life
    i like to have friends all over the world.
    please visit my blog and post a comment for me.
    my blog address : www.asheqetam.persianblog.ir

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post, I hear #5 ALL THE TIME... since I teach like you do, I'm sure we're both like whatever...thanks for the smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell them your MIL won't let you have kids until you're back in the US so she can spoil them. Isn't that the truth?

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you get asked this a lot! I hope it is just annoying and not something you are struggling with quietly. You can always tell them that kids will just mess up your cool jumping photos! :) I am glad you are high and dry during the flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So when ARE you and Mike going to have kids? haha, totally kidding. Love you guys! :-)

    ReplyDelete