Sunday, June 21, 2009

10 years ago...

I was thinking back to how different I feel about going overseas this time vs. when I went to Spain as a foreign exchange student 10 years ago. I feel much more calm about the situation this time around for several different reasons.

1. I am not 16, I'm 26.

2. There are more known things this time. I know I have a job, what city I am going to live in, that I will be surrounded by other Christian teachers, and that I have an apartment to go to the evening that I arrive in Bangkok. When I left MN to go to Spain, I had no idea who my host family was and what part of Spain I'd be living in.

3. I am not going alone; I have my best friend going with me to experience these awesome adventures with in Thailand.

4. I know a little bit more of what to expect/anticipate when going overseas... mainly culture shock.

5. This time around I don't know the language, but I know that I'll be able to get around. As a foreign language teacher, I've learned to mime things really well since I don't want to speak in significant portions of English to my students. Plus, I have the desire to learn the language so I think I'll slowly make progress.

6. Technology has advanced significantly in the last 10 years, thus making it ridiculously easy to stay in touch. While that does not negate the fact that proximity wise, we are half way around the world and can't just give someone a hug or have dinner, it's not like we will have fallen off the face the earth and no one will ever hear from us.

7. Not that I wasn't excited for new adventures 10 years ago, but I think this time around I am even more so. I am ready to explore, learn, travel and try new things. I'm ready to not be so "Type A" and just let go.

Cheers to new adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment