Monday, May 24, 2010

Poser

Today I went to buy some ice cream at Lucky, our local mini-mart down the street. I held the door open for this farang-looking lady (westerner/foreigner) before I walked in and she said, "khop khun ka" (thank you) to me as she exited. Mike and I had a good chuckle over that. As my friend Holly wrote here, "When it comes to being Asian, I know we're just posers. But hey, at least we look the part."

Okay, but seriously... how funny would it have been if I had answered her back with the Minnesotan "Ya sure, you betcha!" ...of course dripping in the exaggerated accent featured in movies such as "Fargo" or "New in Town," or else it's just not legit. Or maybe even more confusing yet, in Spanish (if she could differentiate between languages that is). Bahahaha... it makes me laugh just thinking about it! Maybe next time...

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Yay, I made mention on your blog today. ;) So the other day, I was buying fruit from fruit guy and I was all sweaty because I had just worked out. This Thai lady just kept staaaaaaring at me. And then she kind of said under her breath, "Farang?" I smiled and said, "Yes!" Maybe she thought I hadn't acclimated to the heat yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two posers are so funny. I'm glad you're finding humor these days. And I'm glad the fruit guy and the mini mart are open!
    Btw, it's 95 degrees or something here. I think we've switched with Bangkok. Whew!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete