Saturday, May 15, 2010

Just making sure...

You know it's bad when the doctor takes a look at the x-rays of your sinus infection and she says, "This is wery, wery bad." (wery=very... Asians have a hard time with their "v's").

Our conversation went like this:
Dr: This is wery, wery bad. It is much worse.
Me: Are you sure those are my x-rays?
Dr: [laughs] Yes, I am wery sure.
Me: Are you sure that those are the ones from today and not 2 weeks ago?
Dr: [laughs again] Yes, I am wery sure.
Me: Ok, I believe you... but it's just that I don't feel like I have sinus infection.
Dr. Oh, but Meeses (Mrs.) Kar-leeeeen (Karlene), it's wery sewere.

I feel frustrated. Frustrated that it hasn't cleared up, that I'm now on my third antibiotic, and that I'm going into week 4 of this infection. However, I have been blessed. I have been blessed not to have pain or pressure in my sinuses, to have the sensation that I am getting better (despite the fact that I'm not), and to have a doctor that is doing everything that she can to help me.

I feel like God's just making sure that I really took to heart that earlier lesson in contentment... would I continue to be content and rest in Him if this infection lasted another 2 months? Would I be content and rest in Him if it never went away? Would I be content and rest in Him if I got severe sinus infections on a regular basis? Is health my idol?

How is God stripping you of your idols? How is God teaching you contentment and to simply rest in Him? How is God sanctifying you?

No comments:

Post a Comment