Tuesday, November 24, 2009

They never cease...

Okay, so I know my blog posts have been really wordy lately, so I promise that my next blog post will include some pictures!

These kids never cease to make me laugh. Sometime it's because they are just plain funny, and other times it's because their English is...lacking.

Karly: (to a Spanish student who walks in during my break) Can I help you?
Student: Yes. I was absent all last week due to the 2009 influenza (aka: H1N1).
Karly: Sure, what can I do for you?
Student: Well, I am kind of confused on the material and I just really need some understandings.
Karly: You need some understandings?
Student: Yes Mrs. Karly, I really need some understandings.
Karly: Oh, some understandings! Of course. What kind of understandings do you need?
Student: Well, the understandings I need are...

I know, I should have told him that he needed some explanations, not understandings... but it was just so cute that I couldn't bring myself to do it. :)

Mike has been playing hockey with his students lately. One student kept approaching him to tell him about her pain tally. She would say things like, "I have one pain" or "I got nine pains today." In other words, she was telling him how many times she hurt herself. Whenever Mike would ask her if she was okay, she would always tell him "Yep!"

As many of you know, Mike teaches K4 (aka: 4 year old kindergarten [or pre-school]). It's not his favorite as the children are quite wild, but he always comes home with the best stories. :) He has a little Thai girl in that class whom he affectionately refers to as his "prissy K4 girl," who is not only prissy, but also extremely blunt. She always makes her opinion known and makes sure that Mike understands when she doesn't like something. If she doesn't want to run a lap, she will tell Mike "I don't like that" or "I don't want to do that." Here is an insight into their interesting relationship:

K4 girl: Why do read us a Bible verse every class?
Mike: It's just part of gym class. Is that okay?
K4 girl: Yup.

Mike: This is the only time I will see you this week, since we don't have school this Thursday
K4 girl: [clapping her hands excitedly] Yaaaaaaay!
Mike: Yay that you don't have school on Thursday or yay that you won't see me?
K4 girl: [clapping hands excitedly] Yay that I won't see you!
Mike: [fake cries]
K4 class: [laughs]

Sometimes I don't know why a person would ever want to give up teaching... the kids are simply too funny and entertaining. I think we need to take the suggestion of my mother-in-law and start writing a book about all the weird/funny/silly things that our students do. They certainly keep us on our toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment