Sunday, November 1, 2009

A few firsts

1. I ran a 5K. It was my first organized run since I don't really like the idea of paying to run outside, but this run was for cancer research, so I was all for it. Part of me just really wanted the t-shirt that they give out because I thought it would be in Thai or say Bangkok on it somewhere. However, by the time Kristin and I got there and checked in, they were all out of t-shirts! No worries though, because the shirt was all in English and it didn't say Bangkok on it anywhere--disappointing, I know. Anyway, after having been used to running inside, on a treadmill, in air-con, running outside in the heat & humidity, despite it being 8 in the morning, was quite the change for me! My lungs definitely hated me at specific points during the run, and I had plenty of 60+ year-old-looking Thai men and women outrunning me. But it was great and I met my two goals: I didn't walk at any point in time, and I finished! (I'm feeling it today though!)


2. Saw my first "walking stick" the other day (in person). If you look at it closely (click on the picture itself to see a larger image), its head really looks like and "alien" head. Absurd creature, in my opinion.


3. Went to Seacon Square (one of the largest malls in Asia) and saw a cheerleading competition. The teams consisted of mainly (-ahem- flamboyant) males, which was interesting to me since I was on a team in HS that was all girls. Also saw some new stunts that were particularly amazing to me.




4. We went to our first hot-pot Japanese restaurant with our new friend, A. He is a college friend of one of Mike's childhood friends. A is from Thailand, so he enjoys showing us around and taking us to some of his favorite restaurants in Bangkok.



5. Read the Twilight series for the first time. Just like with the Harry Potter books, it took me a little while to jump on the bandwagon. And just like the Harry Potter books, I enjoyed the Twilight series immensely, and was thankful that I didn't jump on the bandwagon right away because then I didn't have to wait for all the books to come out one by one. Mike bought me the box set for my birthday and I flew through them in a week. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment