Monday, October 5, 2009

God of This City

One of my new favorite songs is called God of This City. It was written by an Irish band called Bluetree, but has also been sung by Chris Tomlin on his Hello Love CD.



This song hits close to home for me in that it was divinely inspired when the Bluetree was on a mission trip to Pattaya, Thailand. Pattaya is well known for prostitution and sex change operations... needless to say, it's a dark, dark city. The owner of a bar/brothel wanted the band to sing at his bar to attract customers-- so they did. They sang worship songs for two hours, and this song came to be.

It is so comforting to know that God IS the God of not only this city, but every city. But it's even more comforting to know that God is at work: He is changing lives, opening eyes, softening hearts, drawing people to Him, and stirring their affections for Him... but greater things are still to come and be done as He continues to work, bless, and reign over all of His creation for His glory and purpose.

I think of my students and how so many of them are not Christians, and this song and His word give me hope. For if God's work here on earth is not done quite yet, then He is still moving and working to draw my students to Him... and maybe one day in heaven, my students and I will be rejoicing together in the gift of salvation. Until then, I will keep praying for them, reaching out to them, trying to set an example for them, and trusting that God IS the God of this city and that He is mightily working in Bangkok.

4 comments:

  1. I was really touched the first time I heard that song and the story behind it, too!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have never heard that song, but you're right it is awesome. There are so many cities that are hurting. So many cities that are corrupt and have major sin issues. What hope this song gives. Because no matter what things may look like, God is still at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that song! That song is on everyday at least once on KTIS.

    -Madeline Martens

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you posted this and the day I read it, Lauren Taylor talked about it in a presentation at church, since she is intentionally working in the city. There are many needs in every city. It's interesting to hear this originated there where you are!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete