Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Snow day??


So I just received this picture in my e-mail inbox from my mother-in-law. Crazy... the earliest snowfall in MN in 20+ years, and early it was, making its nasty appearance on Oct 10!

Well, needless to say, we don't have snow days here in Thailand, but we do in fact have rain/flood days, like tomorrow! It rained like a banshee today for several hours, which is really unusual (despite it being the rainy season), but we're experiencing the side effects of the hurricanes in other parts of Asia, the recent full moon that is affecting the tides, and complete saturation from previous rainy days.

We left for school this morning around 6:50 and it was already starting to sprinkle, which then turned into a downpour for the next 5+ hours. It was crazy. The soccer field is completed flooded... it looks more like a lake than a field, parts of the school ceiling on the 4th floor were actually falling down, and the streets at certain points during the day had 2+ feet of standing water.

Traffic was slow today, as you can probably imagine from the next series of photos. So they decided to cancel school tomorrow with the pending rain predictions for tonight in order to prevent a nightmare for some students, parents and teachers (some travel over 1 hour to get to school when the traffic is pretty good), and small and unproductive classes tomorrow for teachers. Apparently, this is the worst flooding that Bangkok has had in the last 20 years.













Check out the dude's mo-ped wake in the second to the last picture. And then I love how in the last picture, he turns around as if to say, "Am I really making a wake? Sweet, I am!!"

Anyway, I am actually quite thankful for the flood day that we have tomorrow, as I will have the opportunity to get farther ahead in my lesson planning so that I really don't have to think about school over October break when I'm at the beach for 6 days! I'm looking forward to the much needed rest. But in the meantime, pray for no more rain!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What's a little snow compared to all that rain? Enjoy your day off. And enjoy the beach!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete