Thursday, September 24, 2009

Real conversations...

Level 1 students entering room, one scares me...
Me: ¡Infarto! (heart attack)
Students: What? Fart? Did you say fart? Did you fart?
Me: No, infarto... significa heart attack.
Students: What, fart?
Me: [laughing] no, INfarto... you heard the word fart and you stopped listening. It's infarto. Uy, freshman.
Students: [laughing] fart... she said fart! Mrs. Karly said fart.

[Same students/class, but a different day...]

Me: My kids in the other class...
Students: What? You have kids?
Me: No, I don't have kids, I meant my students in the other class... you didn't let me finish.
Students: Why don't you have kids?
Me: [sigh]... because I don't feel qualified to be a mother.
Student A: But you're married!
Me: Yes, but that's only half of it.
Student B [punky, freshman boy]: You should have babies. I want to hold them and play with them!
Students: Yeah, you should have kids! When are you going to?
Me: Maybe one day, but not anytime really soon, okay?
Students: Awwwww, darn.
Me: Aaaaaand we're done. Now back to what I was saying, my kids in the other class... [lesson continues]

[Same class, same day...]

Student A [another punky, freshman boy]: You pretty today, Mrs. Karly.
Me: Why thank you.
Students: Yeah, you look beautiful. Did you do something different?
Me: Yep... I didn't brush my hair today.
Students: [laughing] Why not?
Me: I didn't have time. I had 15 minutes to get ready so I did the important things: dunked me hair in water, brushed my teeth, threw some clothes on and put on deodorant.
Students: You should do that everyday, you look beautiful.
Me: Uhmmm... okay, thanks!

1 comment:

  1. When we were working with high school students they constantly asked us when we were going to have a baby.

    And by the way, you are definitely qualified.

    ReplyDelete