Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do you hear what I hear?

Spanish!!

I was delighted to hear native Spanish speakers in Cambodia... they were from Barcelona. I think I was drooling over their native Castillian-lispy accent; it was phenomenal. :) And then, if you can believe it,  the other day when I went to the grocery store here in Bangkok, I overhead a mother and child speaking in Spanish. I did everything I could to prevent myself from barging in on their intimate conversation.

Additionally, I have been hearing more and more Spanish in my classroom. Now that it's second semester, I always challenge/force my kids to speak more in Spanish. I love hearing them speak in castellano, trying their best to express themselves, struggling to find the right vocabulary... and then suddenly having everything click. Those AH-HA moments are what I cherish as their teacher. Needless to say, it's been a great start to the 2nd semester.

I also am thrilled to say that we will be hearing more Spanish this summer, as we are planning on taking a trip to Spain! I can't wait to brush up on my Spanish, use vocabulary I probably haven't used in ages (and maybe even don't remember that I have filed away somewhere), and see my friends that I made back in high school at good old Cabo de Huertas when I did my year of foreign exchange (I can't believe that was 11 years ago).

I feel like I'm coming back full circle. Life is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment