Sunday, December 5, 2010

Approved

I had my LASIK consult yesterday and I have been approved to get the procedure done. I have been thinking about getting it done for a while (both my eyes are -7.50) but am officially going to go through with it now. And just to make sure I didn't chicken out, I even set the date after the optometrist was done with the eye tests and I had received the green light. So Friday, December 17 at 4pm is the date. I'm doing it the moment X-mas vacation starts so that I have 3 weeks time to recover. I am not supposed to look at a computer screen for more than 2 hours a day for 2 weeks after the surgery, which proves difficult as a teacher, so vacation will be the perfect time!

I'm a bit nervous because it deals with my eyesight and there are definitely plenty of risks, but I know that the technology has advanced even in the time that LASIK was first introduced. The hospital that I am going to has been doing the procedure for the last 10 years and the optometrist that is doing my procedure has been doing it for a long time and said that the hospital has never had someone "lose an eye" (lose their vision) in the time that they have been doing it. It is also reassuring to me that people from all over the world will fly to this particular hospital for the quality of medicine & care it provides.

It's definitely an investment, but the younger I am when I do the surgery, the more I'll get out of it. The surgery itself is about the equivalent to me spending 5-6 years money's worth on eye exams, glasses & contacts. So, Lord willing, if I live for another 5-6+ years, it will be financially worth it.

I don't know too many people who have had it done that have regretted it... so many people are so eager to tell me their positive experiences, which is also encouraging to me. So here's hoping that December 17 is one of the best decisions of my life. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you are approved for the surgery. You'll have three "nurses" to take care of you after the surgery. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you having the surgery done? 2 weeks recovery is excessive. What kind of Lasik are you having done? I work for the best Lasik surgeon in Minnesota and it takes about 6-24 hours to recover. Make sure you take care of your eyes, they are the only 2 you have! Good Luck and God Bless. Nicole.junker@chuvision.com

    ReplyDelete