Monday, November 5, 2012

Mug shot

These are Owen and Emma's passport pictures for the next five years of their life. Every time I look at them, I honestly laugh; Emma with her cute little smirk and Owen with his skeptical and serious face.

These pictures portray their personalities well, we think. From what we can tell... Emma is more outgoing and social. She loves face time, she smiles easily (and has from the beginning), coos a lot & adores being held. As you can tell, Emma, AKA "chubba cheeks" also loves her food . :) She is a champ of a nurser, but a horrible burper. We've been starting to give her gripe water (water with sodium bicarbonate and dill weed oil), which has helped her burp better and not be fussy by the end of the day (when all the gas accumulates).

Owen is our serious little man. He is harder to get a smile from (I know it's still early... I guess Emma is just an overachiever in the social arena) and I feel like every photo I snap of him, he has this slightly disgruntled, serious, or skeptical look on his face. He is a very content baby though and hardly ever cries. He is a horrible nurser... he likes to bite with his gums and whip his head from side to side while he snorts (we affectionately call him "snorty face") for a good 10 minutes before settling down to eat, and then he takes his sweet sweet time eating. He does this when fed by a bottle too, though not quite as much.

Mike and I joke about the difference between having a boy an a girl... Owen really only cries about 4 things: a dirty diaper, when he wants to be swaddled, is hungry, or when Emma the bully punches him in the face. Emma is more high maintenance. She cries when she's scared, when you don't quite have her in the right position, if her swaddle is too tight or too loose, when her swing stops moving, if she isn't being held, when she's hungry, if she can't see your face, if you're not laying close enough to her etc. etc. It's so interesting how two little beings that are raised in the same environment who are getting the same treatment, the same food, have the same parents etc. are so very very different. I love it.

They are sleeping well. I was scared by other parents into thinking that I'd only get an hour or so of consecutive sleep. I prayed for children that sleep well... and already at 6 weeks old, they are often doing 4-5 hour stretches at night. And since they are more or less on same schedule, most of that is overlap! We don't feel as sleep deprived as we thought we would, especially with twins. We've really been blessed.

Life is great. We love being parents and are having a lot of fun!

More pics and less words in the next post or two. :)

9 comments:

  1. It's fun to hear what the babies' personalities are like already. Owen does always look so serious! :) And that little chubs, Emma! Can't wait to see them! Your mom said she'd give them some loves from me, too!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! I'm glad to hear you are getting sleep! H4 was sleeping really well for the first couple months, and then that stopped about a week ago. She's getting ready to cut teeth and rather unhappy about it. Owen and Emma are so adorable and I'm in love with Emma's cheeks! And Emma sounds like H4 with crying if everything is not just right. H3 was pretty relaxed as a baby (though not as a preschooler), and H4 is the opposite. I'm so glad you're having a good time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every picture is so adorable! Am I biased?? Of course! I'm coming to see you and cuddle you, Owen and Emma!!

    Grandma Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lainey was a very, very serious baby too. She didn't cry a lot either but rarely cracked a smile. That seemed to last until she was almost 20 months old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I'm sorry Emma's a screamer! That's hard! I hope she outgrows it quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mislead you. When she cries, it's really more of a fussy cry. She's not a screamer unless she's hungry and then she lets you know it! HA! That little girl appreciates food (hence the cheeks)... just like her Mama.

      Delete
  6. I just have to tell you that I have a big picture of the mug shots on my computer and every time I pass by I can't help but smile/laugh. Love!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are HILARIOUS! I have a couple passport mug shots that make me laugh, to this day, and my oldest's has expired!

    ReplyDelete